Some radiators work and others don't

You need all TRVs set to maximum when you try and balance them; then you turn the TRVs down to control the room temperature, otherwise the TRV setting can fight with the lockshield setting.
Ok. Thanks. I will try that. You'v been really helpful.

Sponsored Links
You need all TRVs set to maximum when you try and balance them; then you turn the TRVs down to control the room temperature, otherwise the TRV setting can fight with the lockshield setting.
Hi
I did that and all bar one were working. The next day 2 rads weren't heating up so had to fiddle with it again. The rads seem to have a mind of their own and is a constant struggle everyday messing about with the rads.

Right Ali, you've done all you can on your own. Have you measured the rads to make sure they don't exceed the capacity of the boiler.

Right Ali, you've done all you can on your own. Have you measured the rads to make sure they don't exceed the capacity of the boiler.
Im going to do this today. Will gett back to you. Dads been in hospital for last week so haven't had time. You've been really helpful so far. Really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Some other things to try....

Remove all the TRV heads (some may have failed capsules).

Exercise the valve pins up and down (some may have become stuck/sticky).

Leave heads off and run heating (pins in fully up position means valves are fully open).

Drain the system and eyeball the state of the water that comes out.

Add some chemical cleaner and run it round system for a week or two.

Drain down again and refill with an added inhibitor.

If you get some Calchem, it is both a cleaner and inhibitor and can be left in.

If there is a magnetic filter, clean it out. Add one if there isn’t.

What size are your pipes? 15mm or small bore?

Some other things to try....

Remove all the TRV heads (some may have failed capsules).

Exercise the valve pins up and down (some may have become stuck/sticky).

Leave heads off and run heating (pins in fully up position means valves are fully open).

Drain the system and eyeball the state of the water that comes out.

Add some chemical cleaner and run it round system for a week or two.

Drain down again and refill with an added inhibitor.

If you get some Calchem, it is both a cleaner and inhibitor and can be left in.

If there is a magnetic filter, clean it out. Add one if there isn’t.

What size are your pipes? 15mm or small bore?
Hi
I've checked the valve pins before. One was a bit tight but thats okay now. Pipes are standard size whatever that is. I was told by my builder. In terms of draining the system, that is too technical for me. I would need step by step guidance.

I will check the youtube vids and see if I'm capable do doing this.
Thanks.

Im going to do this today. Will gett back to you. Dads been in hospital for last week so haven't had time. You've been really helpful so far. Really appreciate it.
Been really ill for 2wks. Measures rads and the total btu is 57548. Thats well under what you said for a 28kw boiler, but I think my boiler is 24kw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back