Some weird, sticking-out cracks... How to rectify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I live in a new build (2021) and these cracks have started showing up in the kitchen. It looks like (and I could be wrong) masking tape that's been painted over and not removed. But I'm not sure.

How do I deal with this before painting? I obviously can't paint over it as it's a raised crack. Any advice would be gratefully received!
PXL_20231119_120556899.jpg
17003958404284992893191173534558.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like they needed a narrow strip of plasterboard at the edge and taped over that. Can you claim on the warranty still. If not strip out and repair it.

Blup

You could do as Blup suggests and that would be the correct way. An alternate way would be to put some decorators caulk on the joins and effectively "seal" the crack and then paint over it.

Not masking tape. They are plastering tape. Rip it out and redo.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As above, you have tape and join plasterboard. The tape is delaminating.

Hi all, I live in a new build (2021) and these cracks have started showing up in the kitchen. It looks like (and I could be wrong) masking tape that's been painted over and not removed. Bespoke furniture but I'm not sure.

How do I deal with this before painting? I obviously can't paint over it as it's a raised crack. Any advice would be gratefully received! View attachment 321675View attachment 321676
Blup is right. I would do as Blup said however, use plastering tape instead of masking tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back