Cracks on plaster around window and messy filling - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am currently redecorating my spare bedroom, nothing too elaborate just trying to achieve a nice paint finish which is proving difficult. I have encountered some cracks around the window frame in the plaster and these were filled with cracking paint and many layers of old caulk which looks unsightly.

I tried to gouge out the crack a bit and pull away the old caulk and paint and then laid some new caulk over and a bit of hairline crack filler where it wasn't working and gaps were still there.

It still looks a downright mess, I'm guessing that I need to start again and cut all the old stuff out. I'm uploading some pictures so please do offer me any advice you may have on how to make this look neat and smooth - if that's possible!

Many thanks

Lucy [GALLERY=media, 79175][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 79176][/GALLERY] [net]
[GALLERY=media, 79177][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 79178][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
All three of the inside corners in the pic seem to have been caulked and filled and messed up.

Use a sharp chisel or a spatula to clean off the trickle vent PVC.

Perhaps, there has been a little structural movement leading to cracking - or inserting the PVC window frame has caused cracking?

The correct and best method of dealing with this kind of thing is to rake out all debris and rough stuff and fill and perhaps tape up, and lightly skim plaster over - then sand down and re-paint.

Maybe go for a tub of the pre-mixed Plaster Filler (sold by screwfix for instance) and have a go at DIY'ing a neat finish?

Hiya

Thanks for your reply.

They are still the old aluminium windows and have no trickle vents. I think you're right, there has been some movement and it has caused cracking all around the frame that we were assured is not serious but settlement! Still te previous owners and now me have tried to fill it and have made it uglier!

So thanks for your advice I'll be buying some ready done plaster and scraping out though I got scared doing this last time as I was scraping out so much stuff and it still ended up looking rubbish. I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Or use upvc plastic white trim for neater look. Window fitters use it to cover crack, missing plaster bits and gap during window replacement.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back