Plastering around oak lintel (fireplace)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise the best way to fill in around an oak lintel above a wood burning stove which has shrunk since installation and left cracks and gaps?

the initial movement left a section of plaster attached to the top of the beam and then a crack between that bit of plaster and the main wall plaster, I have gouged the plaster out and re-filled it

can I use a caulk filler to fill the gaps remaining??

and will the lintel always be likely to expand and contract or was the inital movement just the beam drying out?

Andy

Sponsored Links
You have a few things going on here.
Expansion and contraction due to heat.
and expansion and contraction due to differing materials and the differing movement between them.
Has the plaster been cracking due to the heat, as there does seem to be a little additional remedial work carried out?
It is always best to use a render of lime/cement in areas of excessive heat as plaster will crack.

the plaster behind the stove itself seems to be cracking now I have used it a bit

but the cracks above the lintel seem to have been from the expansion/contraction of the beam

is it likely to still have much movement in it or was the excessive movement just due to the wood drying??

and if there is likely to be more movement how can I allow for it??

Cheers

Was the timber beam in need of drying out? Is it a recent install or has the property been empty?
You will always get movement between differing materials, the best method is to leave a slight expansion gap and run a bead of flexible sealant along it.
Plaster does not like the heat given off by wood/multi fuel burns, it is muck better to lime/cement render the area around this appliance.

Sponsored Links
its a recent install so I suppose a good bit of movement should be expected?
I will try what you suggest and fill a gap with flexible sealant

cheers

You need Victas heat resistant plaster.
You will have quite a bit of movement on the lintol, the wood burners chuck out some heat.
It might pay to fit some fire proof board to the back of the timber lintol, and ideally on the underside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back