Gypsum plaster near stove: trouble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a wood burning stove put into my fireplace, which I opened out. The stove is 17" wide, the opening is 23" wide. The walls are plastered to the edge of the opening. How likely is it that the plaster will crack due to the heat? I haven't measured the temperature of the air around a stove, but it is fine to place a hand above the stove. A plasterer said it would likely crack, and he could fireboard around the fireplace, and blend in with the wall plaster.

Sponsored Links
How likely is it that the plaster will crack due to the heat?
Very!
A plasterer said it would likely crack, and he could fireboard around the fireplace, and blend in with the wall plaster.
the plaster may still crack.
It would be best to lime/cement render.

Thanks. I'm a little confused by your second comment. Perhaps my post was not clear. I'm actually talking about plaster on the wall around the opening, and replacing that plaster with fireboard. Inside the opening it will be brick.

You stated blending plaster in, will really depend on distance the plaster is blended from the fire, heat transferral could still cause this to crack.
I have in the past opted for just tape jointing and blending/filling out with easi-fill on the joints. Seem not as susceptible to cracking.

Sponsored Links
You stated blending plaster in, will really depend on distance the plaster is blended from the fire, heat transferral could still cause this to crack.
I have in the past opted for just tape jointing and blending/filling out with easi-fill on the joints. Seem not as susceptible to cracking.

Okay, I see what you mean. He said he could Easifill in the joint between the board and the wall, and sand. Cheers.

I'm having a wood burning stove put into my fireplace, which I opened out. The stove is 17" wide, the opening is 23" wide.

That leaves 75mm clearance either side of the stove. Unless MIs state otherwise IIRC BRegs require 150mm min either side of stove. Is a HETAS contractor signing this off or LABC? You need to ensure you need enough clearance to meed BRegs!

I'm having a wood burning stove put into my fireplace, which I opened out. The stove is 17" wide, the opening is 23" wide.

That leaves 75mm clearance either side of the stove. Unless MIs state otherwise IIRC BRegs require 150mm min either side of stove. Is a HETAS contractor signing this off or LABC? You need to ensure you need enough clearance to meed BRegs!

Building regs refer to distance from combustible material. 75mm from brick either side is fine, although more would be nice to encourage convection.

The front face will crack in time if it's plasterboarded. It would be better rendered in lime.

if plastering with sand lime cement around the fireplace opening, how would you bed on the thick bed angle beads. Would you use bonding or finish tht is what I would normally do, but due to the heat of the wood brning stove could this make the gypsum blow? Also I need to plaster onto concrete lintel I would normally use Bonding for this but if using Render woyuld you just pva it? I dont think Ican fix expanded metal on it Ideas please

An update for what it is worth. I opened it out myself, then the stove people placed beading round the edge and patched the wall plaster either side and at the top. The inside is bare brick. They said that the plaster on the walls might show hairline cracks but in general it should be okay. After one season of stove use, there are no cracks at all. The brick inside the opening does get too hot to touch, but the edges of the walls either side do not get that warm, and at the top it does get quite warm, but clearly it survives.

Building regs allow you to site your stove as close as you like to non-combustible materials. Manufacturer's fitting instructions override this if there is a safety issue and they state what gap they require (often 75mm). This gap is more to allow heat to enter the room rather than warm the wall material.
www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk

Is there any penalty by waiting for it to crack?
What do the drywall makers and stove maker say about this wall being warmed and cooled?
Are the temperature extremes any worse than when it was just a fireplace?

Is there any penalty by waiting for it to crack?

No probably about the same penalty watching paint dry.

What do the drywall makers and stove maker say about this wall being warmed and cooled?

Not a lot.

Are the temperature extremes any worse than when it was just a fireplace?

The stove will create more temperature extremes especially if its a non boiler model.

Theres some crazy stove installations around. I saw one a while back where the guy just stuffed a tiny stove into a fireplace opening.
No clearance on the sides at all.

Its a mystery how he got the flue connected. He has small children and I implored upon him to fit a CM detector.

I expect he didn't take my advice though.

How soon, or how many heat/cool cycles, before the OP knows there will or will not be damage? Will the damage be obvious? I guess the drywall seams will be the canary in the coal mine for this type thing.

I don't mind if DIYers endanger their own lives, but exposing kids to a known hazard like this is indefensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back