Plastering around timber beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, What would be the best method to plaster around and up to a large timber 'feature' beam, that is likely to shrink and move (Oak beam that is not yet fully dried). To prevent all lot of future filling and redecorating.
I suspect this beam could shrink as much as 1/2" to 3/4" in width as it dries out.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You haven't got any option but to wait and see really.

Sponsored Links
It's a natural material, it will shrink as you rightly say but will expand and contract and there will always be a crack between the plaster and the beam.

plaster stop beads!
run them hard against the beam...then silicone.

Silicone? :eek: Do you have no taste whatsoever?

Stop bead is a good plan, silicone however I dont agree with, perhaps an oak cover strip or some oak quadrant/scocia to cover the impending gap?

i agree with als stop bead but i would use a flexible paintable decorators caulk to cover any gaps left around the beads

Silicone/ caulk same colour as the beam.
quadrant beading is a good idea as well.

I've a bit of an idea, do you think it will work? or can anybody see any major problems. There are only just over 2 courses of block to build above the beam. If I support these on strong angle iron just hovering above the beam and rebate the bottom course of blocks with disc cutter so they're virtually touching the beam, then use bell bead bent close up to the timber beam to drop the plaster beyond the top edge of the oak beam but not in contact with it,
and then from underneath use silicone between the bellbead and beam but not on show. so in affect the plaster is not in direct contact with the beam. What do you think?

are you suggesting taking the board over the top of the beam? If so this could be a good idea although get the beam sealed or covered with something. Plaster on it will stain it.

Yes that's the idea, but not board, scratch and then skim, maybe i could use some buliding paper just at the back of the bell bead to stop it squeezing through, what do you think?

either that or a render stop bead, I must admit I am a little confused by what you are describing, I assumed at first that you had an oak beam against a ceiling (holding joists) now i get the feeling it is holding blockwork up (or atleast imitating that).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back