Sister cross beam to extend pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I partially built a pergola last year and put in place an extra post (1) for future expansion, alongside the existing posts (2,3)

I now want to add a new cross beam (5) between the posts to continue the work.

I think that the normal approach would be cut the existing beam (4) above post 2, so that both beam 4 and 5 rest on post 2.

The problem is that I actually added a final rafter to beam 4 beyond post 2. I could remove that rafter and cut beam 4, but I am wondering if I could just join beam 4 and 5, by bolting timber either side and using M12 bolts and timber connectors. The overlap on the beams would by 300mm either side (i.e. the timber pieces marked in blue would be 600mm long).

I am not too concerned about the aesthetics, as I plan to encapsulate the cross beam anyway, and also feel that I could probably get a stronger join, but joining away from the top of the post as I can put a long piece of timber on both sides. There is just the issue that the join is not supported underneath.

The posts are 100mm square and the cross beams and rafters are C24 (47 x 150) and approx 4 metres long. The span between the posts is 3 metres, and beam 4 currently hangs approx 400mm over the end of post 2.

There isn't a roof on the pergola at the moment, but I might want to put a polycarbonate roof on a some point.

It feels like the join would be perfectly strong enough, but would appreciate any advice.

pergextension.png

Sponsored Links
Would you consider 2 45 degree braces on post 2? It could look like a feature and will give strength. Personally rather than sister I would cut half of each and bolt

bathousejoint.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back