Pergola Structural Strength

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built out a decking and pergola area in my garden. I must caveat this by saying I am a complete novice DIY'er, but like to get involved.

I have attached a few photos of how this looks currently - but I have concerns about the top bit with the rafters from a structural perspective. As you can see, I have used the timber on the outside of the posts (that were concreted in) using carriage bolts. In retrospect, I would have done this differently and maybe cut a piece out at the top of the post, so that those sit on top, instead of to the side to make it even more secure (hope that makes sense) - however I am reluctant to pull all of this down, especially having to take out all of the nails from the joist hangers.

So even though I could / should have done this differently if I was doing this again, my question is what I can potentially do based on what I have currently. A few ideas that I have thought of are:

• Adding further posts that are concreted into the ground at the back only. Obviously I wouldn't want to do this at the front, as I naturally want to keep the big opening as currently.
  • Adding triangular corner pieces. Not sure how I would this exactly, with the timber beams being outside of the posts, but I see quite a lot of pergolas doing this. I am personally not a huge fan of how this looks, but if it helps structurally then I am willing to do it.
  • Not sure if this will work, but adding another set of timber beams below the ones currently set up around the whole perimeter, which are attached to the posts - not sure if this will help at all though

Any recommendations on what I can do? I don't necessarily feel like this is going anywhere as everything is bolted in, but for example if I were to hang from one of the rafters, there is movement that is concerning me, hence this post.

This does tie into the same question, but I have attached a picture of the carriage bolts. My question on this is I have had to use one bolt only towards the bottom of the beam, as I have the cross beam also needing to be attached by the bolt too, so I added those more towards the top on those. Ideally I would bolt this up twice at the top and bottom - but obviously couldn't do this as the bolts would hit into each other. So if there is a way I can possible sure this up too, let me know.

Please go easy on any novice mistakes made.

Attachments

• Pergola2_2.jpg
    Pergola2_2.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Pergola3_2.jpg
    Pergola3_2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
You could add large serrated washers, I think they're called timber connectors in DIY shops. Gently prise apart each joint shove in a washer an re-tighten.

Where would you use those, would this be anywhere where I have bolts at the minute? Will this make much of a difference, do you think?

Sponsored Links
You add them between where timbers cross and crushed between the faces. The serrations lock the opposing faces together more than you could achieve with just the bolt/nut alone.

http://medias.pim.simpson.fr/files/...d-jpg-default_zoom/dstc-installed-jpg-jpg.jpg

That makes sense. As I only have one bolt running through at the moment (because the sides have one too, so can't use another bolt otherwise they will hit into each other), so is there a possibility of using those, but without the bolt? So for example towards the bottom where the bolt it, I would use one of those, and then towards the top use one, but without a bolt?

It needs the bolts as the screwing action jacks together the posts/beams so the triangular teeth of the washer dig in to the opposite faces of the timber and lock together.

Nozzle

Have you thought about what kind of plants will you grow to cover the frame?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back