Pergola on deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Looking at building a pergola on the existing deck in our back garden.

With the layout of garden and deck, notching posts and using coach bolts to attach to deck isn't an option. Have been looking around for alternatives to fix the deck on top of the deck.

Looking for opinions on the post base brackets in the attached picture please or other suggestions to attach pergola to top of deck? If I use the items in the pic, I'd secure to deck joists.

Also can't attach to house as I will be putting it at the end of deck away from house, just covering a section of it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pergola-on-deck.564649/#ixzz6nNrQeLweScreenshot_20210217-101228_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly for a residential deck the correct way to install a deck is using posts (I prefer posts set deep and in a dry mix with gravel (not postcrete) then 6 x 2 beams from post to post running deck direction. Joists over 6 x 2's running perpendicular to final decking.

Looking at the fixing above and without any 'permanent structural fixing' the the house I would worry about sheering

Professionally I specify: Simpson strong ties CPT 44z, something I can get an M8/M10 mounted through. And from what you mentioned you will need an under plate to take the loading, probably an 4 x 4 offcut mounted between deck beams (not joists) and fixed using hangers and square twist nails. I would not advise just plonking a pergola on top of a deck with fingers crossed.

Gareth
(I design commercial and residential decks, but I don't fit them!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back