Planning permission to cover existing decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So we've just bought a house that has a decking area (see attached pics) at the back of the house which is raised more than 30cm above the garden level (roughly 50cm above).

As far as I can tell, the previous owners didn't get planning permission for the raised deck, but they did that work 10+ years ago, so I believe that is past the period of potential enforcement by the local council.

However, I'd really like to put a covering over part of the decking - perhaps a pergola that has a pitched roof. The pergola / covering wouldn't be more than 3 metres above the garden level, however it would be within 2 metres of the side boundary. On that basis, do you think we would need planning permission?

I would really appreciate any input/advice - thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230609_160931.jpg
    20230609_160931.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230609_160713.jpg
    20230609_160713.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think there is a Planning-specific subforum on here.

Don't assume that you're immune just because it's 10y ago [slightly different order of magnitude here...]:

If in doubt you could apply for retrospective permission but you only have one chance.

Don't assume that you're immune just because it's 10y ago [slightly different order of magnitude here...]:

If in doubt you could apply for retrospective permission but you only have one chance.
That case is irrelevant, the farmer hid the development which was his downfall.

My thinking was that the OP's deck isn't visible from the street, but it's not deliberately hidden.

Sponsored Links
I'm struggling to see how a pergola with a pitched roof would work against your existing eaves when you only have 2.2m from the deck to the eaves.

I'm struggling to see how a pergola with a pitched roof would work against your existing eaves when you only have 2.2m from the deck to the eaves.

It's slightly more than that and the pitch will be slight - enough for water runoff and no more

I thought that the combination that it was built by the previous owners and that the 4 years of enforcement have more than passed would help us to be fairly safe. I'm sure the POs weren't even aware of the 30cm deck height limit and weren't deliberately hiding anything.

Also, the plan would be for the supports to pass through the decking and be secured into the ground, so technically the deck would not be integral to the covering. My neighbours are cool and I'd also make sure to discuss with them before doing anything, even though it really shouldn't impact them.

check the actual ground it covers its 300mm from the highest adjacent point it covers so maybe if it slopes you could be fine ?

check the actual ground it covers its 300mm from the highest adjacent point it covers so maybe if it slopes you could be fine ?

cheers - I don't think the ground slopes that much, but I'll definitely double check

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back