New extension - Repairing shrinkage cracks. Caulk or Polyfiller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1 year old attic conversion
I've a few hairline cracks either
  • Where plaster and paint meets the wood work,
or
  • Underneath in the corners and ceiling to wall joins of the bathroom.
What is the best way to fix these.
I was thinking, tidy up with a stanley knife, then fill with either filler or caulk.
Which do you suggest

Attachments

• 20170125_070243.jpg
    20170125_070243.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 20170125_070250.jpg
    20170125_070250.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 349
Sponsored Links
I cant tell what I'm looking at - can you post pics that put the cracks in context?
Are they the only cracks?
Who did the loft conversion?
Was it BCO approved?

I assumed they were where the sides of the stairs or skirting meet the wall. If something else, as vinn says perhaps a bit more info would help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Yes it is where the plaster wall has come away from the wooden stairs a little.
This moved/shrunk/settled 6 months after completing.

The Caulk as worked a treat.
Thanks

My questions were directed at attempting to find a cause - but you choose not to answer so I guess that - although still ignorant - you are happy?
Keep the caulk handy , you will need it.

My questions were directed at attempting to find a cause - but you choose not to answer so I guess that - although still ignorant - you are happy?
Keep the caulk handy , you will need it.
Hi Vinn
They are what I would call drying / expansion cracks.
Mostly where the skirts have moved away from the walls by a tiny amount. The skirt were put on my me, so no one to blame there :)
The attic was completed over a year ago and the cracks /separation of plaster wall and skirt happened after about 6 months ish, but haven't grown since.
The caulk was worked wonders last night.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back