Something in-between paint and sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owner fitted these arch windows. Where they filled in-between the arch and the top corners they seem to have bunged in concrete and drawn on brick lines!

Unsurprisingly we keep getting issues with cracking and water ingress.
The cracks are too small to fill and too big to paint over. I don't want to start chipping it out for fear it all comes loose, I just want a quick patch until I can fix it properly.

Is there something out there you can just slop on with a brush that will form a good seal as a temporary measure?

IMG_20211127_103949.jpg
IMG_20211127_104045.jpg

Sponsored Links
Those cracks are not too small . If you don't want to slightly rake them out you can use some external filler on your finger and rub it over the cracks pressing it in. Smooth off as you fill. I'd then use a textured masonry paint on top.

Those cracks are not too small . If you don't want to slightly rake them out you can use some external filler on your finger and rub it over the cracks pressing it in. Smooth off as you fill. I'd then use a textured masonry paint on top.
OK worth a go for the few minutes it'd take. Thanks - presumably I could do the same with a sealant but then I can't paint it. As a patch job I'm after whatever is most effective rather than pretty ;)

Out of interest, does the product I suggest exist? There must be cases where being able to slosh on some sort of immediate sealant is a big plus in bad weather for emergency jobs? Almost like using bitumen in the old days

Textured masonry itself would fill most of the holes. Put it on nice and thick. Probably be hard to dry though in this cold weather. You could just do the finger filling and then re do and paint in the summer. You could use caulk as a temporary measure too.
There's latex paint but if you're gonna slap that on you might as well finger fill and put textured masonry on top. The masonry itself is designed to fill small holes.
Finger fill, 15 minutes tops
Masonry just the filler 2 minutes!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back