Joint crack between underside of stairs and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Snags seem to be taking an age to finish.

Some cracks have appeared where we have plasterboarded and skimmed and painted the underside of the new loft stairs and existing plastered masonry wall.

I'm not too worried about the cracks as in places to be expected perhaps. But would like some advice on the best way to fill them for a longish term solution - don't want to be filling every other month :)

It is generally on the joint line between the board and wall- sometimes bang in the corner but in areas is about 5-10mm off the wall

I am planning to just use wickes powder filler that I mix myself, sand and repaint or is anything more drastic required... no I am not putitng coving up ':LOL:'

Cheers

J

Cheers

Sponsored Links
just to be clear the cracks are only hairline not 5-10mm but they wander in off the corner by that amount in a random patterrn...

Sponsored Links
Decorators caulk could be an option as it is flexible but may shrink into the crack slightly.

Not could be, it is an option. :eek: Certainly for any cracks in the corners. Don't put it on too thick though or you may find the caulk starts to crack and you loose the definition of the corner. Use a damp sponge to smooth it in once you have applied it. Try to apply in layers if its easier.

For any cracks that are not directly in the corner I would use filler as you have proposed.

Good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back