Something to be concerned about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware this happens every day without fail.

Every few hours, there is a small click noise in the house and for a few seconds my PC monitor goes blank before coming back on again and continuing as normal.

I can't quite place the noise but it seems to be coming from the kitchen.

Should I call Ghostbusters.....or a priest?

Sponsored Links
Yes,
A surge or spike may cause issues with the tower, and if NOT backed up may, and if not backedup, lose of data, pictures documents etc
may possibly cause a harddrive issue or datacorruption
does it reboot, have you got it connected to a surge socket
Maybe the Fridge turning on/off

Is this PC tower with a seperate screen

Ah, the fridge. That would certainly tick the boxes for the cause.

My PC setup isn't really typical. The PC (which is not strictly in an enclosed case but water cooled on an open test bench) sits under the stairs next to the gas & electric meters along with the CU(!).
I have a video and two USB extension cables connected behind wall ports in the living room where I sit with my monitor.

I don't have surge protection sockets. I forgot about those but will get some now you've mentioned it!

I wonder if this is related to another issue I have which has been the bane of my life: data transference using the USB extensions. The cables are supposedly shielded but data transfer always fails and drives often not recognised, so I have to get up off my butt and plug any external media directly into a port on the PC for them to work without fail.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if this is related to another issue I have which has been the bane of my life: data transference using the USB extensions. The cables are supposedly shielded but data transfer always fails and drives often not recognised, so I have to get up off my butt and plug any external media directly into a port on the PC for them to work without fail.

Check the length of the USB and extension cables, there is a limit on the length before they fail.

USB Cables from day one, have had a maximum length of 5m. It is a limitation caused by the speed of light, and the required response time. It also means that extension cables are illegal (in spec terms). A number of dubious products without the logo have been and continue to be sold in defiance of the laws of nature.

Thanks for all your replies.

I know what you're saying about the length of cables, mine's 3 metres. I've tried different ones, ones using repeaters, trying a Y adaptor to boost power from another port, foregoing the wall port connections to cut out any middlemen etc.

It was all sporadic especially using different media and didn't make any sense so I gave up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back