Something to watch my back garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was out in the garden today for the first time this year and found that someone had fly-tipped a metal headboard over my back fence. At present, I have no lights or cctv in the back garden and am wondering what the best solution might be to deter people from doing this again. I can't have a halogen light at the back because there are other houses backing onto the lane and it might disturb them at night. Ideally, though, I'd like to be able to id the person if it does happen again. Having looked at a few sites, the cctv cameras on offer do seem to have quite a limited 'reach.' I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Was out in the garden today for the first time this year and found that someone had fly-tipped a metal headboard over my back fence. At present, I have no lights or cctv in the back garden and am wondering what the best solution might be to deter people from doing this again. I can't have a halogen light at the back because there are other houses backing onto the lane and it might disturb them at night. Ideally, though, I'd like to be able to id the person if it does happen again. Having looked at a few sites, the cctv cameras on offer do seem to have quite a limited 'reach.' I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything? Many thanks.

TBH - no, nothing is going to do what your asking for

[quote="saxondale";p="826945

TBH - no, nothing is going to do what your asking for[/quote]

Happy to compromise.

Sponsored Links
a thermal imaging camera can see people without light but i'm not sure if you will be able to recognise them from it.

Another option would be a near IR camera with a large near IR light source to go with it (probablly PIR triggered to save power). Being in the near IR it would be invisible to humans.

Another option may just be to get a taller fence potentially with razor wire on top.

But frankly unless this becomes a regular thing most soloutions are probablly more trouble than they are worth.

Thanks, Plugwash. I must do some research on infrared cameras. I guess the reason I'm interested is that I saw an American tv programme a while back in which a person had installed a camera to id who was stealing her washing from a line in the yard. As one would expect, these things happen at night so the IR is important. I don't really care how visible it is - in fact, if its presence puts people off the better. But you're right - it's probably not worth it for a one-off. I'm just the type for whom anti-social behaviour is a bit of a red rag. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back