Sony tv sound bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sony sound bar sony ct260h and a sony KD-55XD8599 whats the best way to connect them up with a ps4 and sky q box

Sponsored Links
Your soundbar has two digital inputs: an Optical and a Coax. It also have an analogue input on 3.5mm jack. According to the spec sheet it does DD and DTS decoding. It's a stereo + sub soundbar

Sky Q has sound output via HDMI and via Optical

The PS4 is HDMI and Optical too.

The simple solution is to put HDMI in to the TV from each source, then use Optical from the TV to the soundbar. This will work but there are a couple of catches. The main one is that a lot of TVs won't pass DTS5.1 to their Optical out. That can also be a problem with DD5.1 as well. What happens in practise is that the HDMI handshake between the TV and the source sets the audio preference to stereo over HDMI. That's what makes it to the speaker kit.

[Note: The product spec will often quote that the Optical out does DD5.1 but neglect to mention that that's only from the internal TV tuner, and built-in streaming apps, and for file playback via USB. There are a different set of rules for the HDMI inputs.]

In your case the speaker kit is stereo (2.1), so you could argue that nothing is lost. There are settings for Night Mode built in to the Dolby DD5.1 protocols, but the Sony soundbar may well have a pseudo-mode to try to emulate that.

iOS Image - 544602391.jpg

Sponsored Links
The sound bar also has hdmi IN
Why not connect via that? (Sound back from TV)

I done it that way and i had message at the bottom of the screen now i have done it that way lucid said it works fine no messages

These are either IR emitters or IR Receivers. They are used for controlling gear that's out of line-of-sight to the infra red remote. One example would be when there's a sound bar blocking the TV IR receiver. Another is where a source box such as a Sky satellite receiver is in a cupboard. Have a look at your manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back