sony bravia tv is black and white with blu ray player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:

Sony Blu Ray Black and white only and dim screen on
SONY BRAVIA TV
I have seen a post with this situation. We have a SONY bravia KDL35400
and blu ray disc bdp-s280. Both purchased late 2009. At first the blu ray worked ok...But, we really did not see anything fantastic with the blu ray disc
movies. Then, we rented dvds and slowly they began to stop and/or skip and we thought they were scratched or something. Now when we attempt to use the blu ray player, the screen is very dim and only black and white. Sony assistance kept saying we needed a new blu ray. We tried updating the cord and using different hdmi jks,ect.
SO, We did go buy a new Blu Ray player and new High powered
"Perfect for Blu Ray" HDMI cord....$27!
The truth is that something burns out in the TV and it can not communicate with the dvd player. So, now we just
cant watch movies on it. Very disappointing. We really had not watched many movies before this started happening. It took 4 calls and 3 days to get someone from Sony to admit it was the TV. They would send a referb at full new tv price to replace...HA HA HA RIGHT! So I think we will stop buying SONY...TOO BAD I HAVE TWO SONY DIGITAL CAMERAS AND 2 SONY VIDEO CAMCORDERS. AND After I return the new blu ray...one Sony Blu ray disc. and One Sony portable dvd player and one Sony portable disc, And a sony printer for my camera. oh, well....on to the next new device with a hopefully more friendly better built better geek supplied company.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the TV setting was set to S-VHS, (which gives B/W picture), if not configured correctly and the DVD player was not set to progressive scan, and the leads may have not been set correctly.

As you are in the US, you use the NTSC system, rather than PAL in the UK, which is renowned for sync problems, so maybe a cabling problem?

My own TV, has a mangle of wires behind it, and I attempted to sort it, to the effect that the TV turned itself off, or wouldn't come on, or the sound was wrong, or some device interfered with another....every port, input and out, is used, cable, sky, 2 computers, dvd recorder, my scart cable cost £75 but improved the picture imessurably.

It sounds like the TV setting was set to S-VHS, (which gives B/W picture), if not configured correctly and the DVD player was not set to progressive scan, and the leads may have not been set correctly.

As you are in the US, you use the NTSC system, rather than PAL in the UK, which is renowned for sync problems, so maybe a cabling problem?
But this is HDMI not SCART, so settings such as S-VHS don't apply. Nor does HDMI (or RGB SCART for that matter) use PAL or NTSC. Colour Separated Signals don't use analogue TV transmission standards.

I think the OP is just pee'd off and having a rant.

Sponsored Links
You got that right Chris Frost ! I didn't appreciate dealing with the Sony "NON-Geeks". Sorry I posted on a uk site...Maybe I thought you guys had some good news for me. Thanks for the help, Err Mercury.s

That's why I don't buy Sony or Samsung TV's etc etc
I stick with Panasonic , Pioneer or Philips .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back