Soot build up on brand new gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new gas fire fitted less than a week ago and already there is a build up of soot, just on one or two of the coals and the back wall behind them. The other coals are still clean. Is this soot normal?

Also, although the flame is (mostly) blue when first lit, it changes to orange after a short while. Is this OK?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Call your installer back to ensure the coals are as per manufacturers instructions. This is essential for correct and safe operation.

The position of coals on gas fires is very critical and should not be changed by users!

Thats assuming the installer has correctly located them of course.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. It's an Eko 3020. I've emailed the shop - they're closed today but they'll pick it up tomorrow and they'll get in touch with the fitter, who hopefully will come back.

Thanks for the replies. It's an Eko 3020. I've emailed the shop - they're closed today but they'll pick it up tomorrow and they'll get in touch with the fitter, who hopefully will come back.

Your first mistake was buying an Eko fire :D They are rebadged Focal Points - read you warranty carefully, you will be a little surprised a the hoops they force you through.

Regardless of the make or model almost every fire will generate some soot. As an installer, the knack of cutting down wastefull callbacks is to hand over the fire properly. That is to say: Explain carefully the operation of the controls and any expected negatives or perceived problems - such as staining on glass windows.

That said, we can never see a job from a keyboard, and we will never say ignore it. Let us know if the fitter was happy to revisit. Was the fitter employed by the shop, or did you pay him direct?

Aw, what's wrong with Eko/Focal fire, it ticked all the right boxes for me :(

The T&Cs of the retailer has a warranty section but I don't seem to have a warranty from Eko. Should there be a separate warranty?

I paid the fitter direct. Although he was recommended by the shop, he's not employed by them so I wasn't surprised at being asked to pay direct.

Well it seems in that case you need to call back the fitter.

I am surprised that you have not aparently done so yet.

The shop only sold the appliance. Once out of their door their involvement ceases ( unless its inherently faulty ).

Tony

I take your point, Tony, but although I think it's unlikely that the fire is inherently faulty, I do think the shop need to be aware of the problem just in case it turns out to be the fire that's faulty. And since they recommended the fitter, I also think they need to be aware if he's having to be called back.

The T&Cs of the retailer has a warranty section but I don't seem to have a warranty from Eko. Should there be a separate warranty?

I paid the fitter direct. Although he was recommended by the shop, he's not employed by them so I wasn't surprised at being asked to pay direct.[/quote]

FP/Eko fires have a 5 year manufacturers warranty, subject to conditions. What warranty does the shop offer? It is unusual for a shop to offer any extra warranty if they are not gas safe registered in their own right, as they would have to pay someone else to visit.

I'm surprised that not a single responder to the OP said the obvious:
" switch the app off ( if it's on), and do not switch it back on until a RGI has examined it"

Further: is this a replacement for a previous, working gas app?
Given the OP's unsettling experience, perhaps he should research on here a few basics such as, clear flues, terminals and make up air.

To the OP:

Turn it off. Do not use it. Get the registered installer back to sort it out. He is responsible.

Many thanks for all the replies.

FiremanT - The shop's warranty is very general. I've now mentioned to them that I don't have a Manufacturer's Warranty form - they're going to ask the fitter if he's got it and if not, they'll get me one from the Manufacturer.

tim00 - It's a remote control fire and the pilot light is left permanently on (the fitter told me to do this, and only to turn off at the knob during the summer when it wouldn't be in daily use). It means that the fire is always warm, and I'm wondering if that is causing the problem.

- It's a replacement for a gas fire which was condemned due to broken ceramics and flames coming out into the room. Since then, at the instigation of the original gas engineer, I've had the chimney swept, had a roofer to take tiles off to check the flue, and had a joint between the roof/flue sealed. That was a different gas engineer, not the one recommended by the shop. Both gas engineers have done a flame flow test and were happy with it.

mysteryman - thanks, I've now spoken to the shop and they're contacting the fitter to ask him to come back.

PS. I've got a carbon monoxide alarm and it's still registering 0 so I'm hoping it's not a major problem.

tim00";p="2400723 said:
I'm surprised that not a single responder to the OP said the obvious:
" switch the app off ( if it's on), and do not switch it back on until a RGI has examined it"
tim00";p="2400723 said:
Maybe because slight sooting of coals is normal or at least common. Which is why we rarely sell white pebble fires! Especially on a slimline model such as this. But, as I said earlier, we will never say a fire is okay without seeing it. But I would be hacked off if I had carefully fitted the fire, completed all the tests, explained issues to client, only for them to phone and say I have to travel a 50 mile round trip to check something because of someone on a website.

Of course, I don't know if the RGI lives around the corner, and whether he did all the checks and explained issues to the client!

One thing to mention though: Did the RGI advise you to run the fire on HIGH for 5-10 minutes (from cold) before turning to low? Not doing this can exacerbate sooting, particularly on pre cast flues. You can also refer to the instructions for the correct placement of coals. This is not "gas work advice", as the instructions tell the user how to clean the coals and replace them.

Sorry I was mistaken about the 5 year warranty, it is only 3 (maybe the 5 only applies to FP branded). Make sure you keep ALL paperwork:

Making a claim

Making a claim is easy. If you wish to make a claim under our 3 year guarantee and all the terms and conditions for your product have been met then please submit the following information for the attention of the 3G Service Department to the address below. Alternatively, you can email or fax.

ekofires
3G Service Department
Reid Street
Christchurch
Dorset
BH23 2BT.

Email: [email protected]
Fax: 01202 588 639

Details required:

1. Name, full address including post code and contact telephone number.
2. Receipt of purchase or credit card statement.
3. Original installers Gas Safe registration number (gas fires only).
4. Annual service receipt
for every 12 months (gas fires only).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back