Grant oil fired combi sooting up photocell regularly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, yes boiler problem at Christmas, of course. My Grant combi 26e external boiler stopped firing last weekend, kept heard it repeatably trying to fire up. Read on here about the photocell in the Riello buner so checked and it was very sooty (black) and cleaning it restored operation, hooray. Except a week later same thing, photocell sooted right up again, cleaning solved it...clearly it's burning poorly and the exhaust vent does show a little more soot than I'd expect.

This boiler is serviced in spring every year, it's been so unreliable probably everything has been replaced over the years but sooting is a new one....any simple tips for a handy diyer or is this strictly a job for the boiler engineer?

Sponsored Links
Without a flue gas analyser, it is probably not possible to effect a lasting solution, but to see you over the holiday, look at the service instructions in the manual, and remove the access panel and baffles, clean them, and clean out the combustion chamber and brush out the flue. Reassemble and it should give you a week or two to arrange a full service.

Without a flue gas analyser, it is probably not possible to effect a lasting solution, but to see you over the holiday, look at the service instructions in the manual, and remove the access panel and baffles, clean them, and clean out the combustion chamber and brush out the flue. Reassemble and it should give you a week or two to arrange a full service.
Thanks, that's very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
As above don't forget to remove and clean the small baffles (turbulators) if they get sooted up there gods only job to get out.
We fit a fair number of these boilers correctly installed are incredibly reliable.
One thing worth mentioning that we have found we always install them with a plume kit .
In like a court yard setting with high swirling winds they can have photo cell problems. With a plume kit on never happens.

@Johntheo5 Yes, serviced in April 2023, needed new heat exchanger as old was leaking, along service report I got a print out with KANE on the top (analyzer brand I assume) but very faint text on the print out though, looks like CO2 11.5% / O2 5.8% / CO 6ppm -

As above don't forget to remove and clean the small baffles (turbulators) if they get sooted up there gods only job to get out.
We fit a fair number of these boilers correctly installed are incredibly reliable.
One thing worth mentioning that we have found we always install them with a plume kit .
In like a court yard setting with high swirling winds they can have photo cell problems. With a plume kit on never happens.
Hmm interesting, mine is outside in a sort of courtyard where wind does swirl about, it has just the little nozzle exhaust pipe a few inches out the boiler, behind a cage, nothing else, it's directed away from the house but that is an interesting point. However, in the 13 years since installed, this is first time I've ever had to clean the photocell, let alone twice in 8 days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back