Firebird C26 - intermittant firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Firebird enviromax combi c26.

Reillo RDB burner

When boiler is switched on green light for hot water lights up on front panel. The dhw pump switches on, so does the burner fan. The heat bank is not up to temperature but the burner does not fire. The pump, & burner fan continue to run without the burner going to lockout.

Have removed photocell to check if clean from soot & ok.

Customer says the boiler has been working fine but occassionaly gets this problem.

Any ideas? I suspect photocell. Can these cause intermittant firing problems?

Sponsored Links
Yes.
Unplug the photocell from the control box. You'll probably find that it then fires up but then will go to lockout.
Do you not carry RDB photocells if you are servicing boilers?

Thanks alot for your advice oilhead. I will try this on my next visit. Never even thought of that. The boiler has been working fine since my last visit according to customer.

I agree - should have had a RDB photocell on stock. Poor stock replenishment on my part. New stock delivered yesterday thankfully.

Thanks again - will keep you updated.

This is a VERY common fault on the Riello RDB I have probably replaced at least 40 Photocells in the last twelve months.
Riello Burners behave in a completely diffrent way to other similar burners, a constantly running fan with no light up is caused by either a failed photoresistor, a failed Solenoid Coil a failed control box or a faulty motor (no 50vac output on white wire) ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks alot for your advice oilhead. I will try this on my next visit. Never even thought of that. The boiler has been working fine since my last visit according to customer.

I agree - should have had a RDB photocell on stock. Poor stock replenishment on my part. New stock delivered yesterday thankfully.

Thanks again - will keep you updated.

That is nothing. Most of the oil engineers around here don't carry any
oil boiler parts with them. I have probably more oil parts than all the plumbers in 20 miles of me.

Thanks Boilerman2, i am very grateful for your knowledge on the Reillo RDB burner. The experience you have gained will help me going forward when fault finding on this model of burner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back