Soot build up on brand new gas fire

fireman, with respect:
you indicated earlier that no one had bothered to advise the OP to switch off because it was given as a minor matter. Not so: "turn it off. do not use it" by mysteryman, "you need to call back the fitter" by Agile, "essential for correct and safe operation" by 45yearsagasman.
These do not sound like "normal or ... common" acceptance of the situation.

Sponsored Links
fireman, with respect:
you indicated earlier that no one had bothered to advise the OP to switch off because it was given as a minor matter. Not so: "turn it off. do not use it" by mysteryman, "you need to call back the fitter" by Agile, "essential for correct and safe operation" by 45yearsagasman.
These do not sound like "normal or ... common" acceptance of the situation.

What I indicated was that light sooting of ceramics and back panel IS normal or at least common place.Modern gas coal fires are designed to impinge on the coals, for realism, and soot IS a natural result. Older mainstream manufacturers fires tended to have the flames running through gaps in a fixed coal bed, avoiding sooting. The concept of coal placement being withon 1mm of the MI's is frankly ludicrous. In fact, many MI's suggest placing the coals, then adjusting for the best flame picture once it has warmed up.

So, within that framework, coalplacement IS important, but from the OP's description, here is little to start having heart failure over. BUT, I REPEAT again, we will never say it is okay, as we have notbhad the opportunity to view or inspect the fire. The op, as he is concerned, is going to do the right thing and check with the fitter - but don't get him so revved up that he falls out with the RGI!

As firemanT has said soot by flame impingement on theses fires is very common and its still surprising how many do not know that these fires are meant to be put on high for first 5 to 10 minutes not only to reduce it but also to help burn off any formed on previous use of the fire.
But then again there is some on here and out there that have maybe fitted 1 fire in the 5 years of there qualifying period

Thanks for all the replies, and FiremanT - thanks for the warranty info.

Update... I've spoken to the fitter and he's happy to come back but can't come till Tuesday. He said it might just be the coals that need adjusting. I offered to adjust them myself and see if there's any further build up between now and Tuesday. It only affects a couple of coals so it's not as if I'm taking the whole lot off, just doing minor tweaking.

He said the fire needed to be kept on High for 20 mins after first lighting. ( It's a bit disappointing that there's no mention of this in the User Manual.) I can't claim that I time it exactly, but once I put the fire on, it's kept on High and then I forget about it until I suddenly realise I'm too hot and then I turn it off LOL. So it's probably on High for a LOT longer than 20 minutes. Could this be contributing to the problem?

PS. I'm a she not a he!

Sponsored Links
So it's probably on High for a LOT longer than 20 minutes. Could this be contributing to the problem?

PS. I'm a she not a he![/
quote]

Lol, you may get even more replies!

No, leaving on high longer term is no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back