soot comming in to my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have to redecorate my lounge every 10 weeks or so as the room becomes cover in a soot like substance. i suspect it its from the house next door who burns all sorts of stuff on a wood burning stove and comes in through my 3 air bricks.

would it damage my house if i covered my air bricks, its only a small lounge but there are 3 air bricks one on the side and two around the bay window. please help.

Sponsored Links
Where is the soot most prevalent in the room?
If it were only coming in through these air bricks then the air bricks would be black on the outside - unlikely I imagine.
I would think it more likely to be coming from down your chimney or dirt blowing up from between floor boards or under skirtings if there is no floor covering.
More information as to the layout of the room is required and whether it adjoins the mentioned neighboring property.

are you saying you have got air bricks close to your neighbour's chimney?

or are they in the normal position close to the ground?

Do you smoke or burn candles?

Have you got a fireplace back-to-back with your neighbours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back