Sorting a gap in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for advice on how I can make good this gap as illustrated in the picture below.

There was a door frame in there originally to house and external door but an extension means that the whole wall is now internal.

The white side to the left was the original external wall and is rendered so a great deal tougher than the pink side which is plasterboard or some kind of plaster finish. The gap measures 8 cm wide and about 0.9cm deep on the rendered side and a bit more on the plastered (pink) side.

Would it be possible to cut away the damp proof membrane and cut a length of plasterboard (95mm) to insert into the gap. The whole wall could then be skimmed or is that wrong?

Any advice appreciated as I won't be doing the skimming myself.

Kind Regards

Russell.

Sponsored Links
How much depth is there on the left hand side (render), is it thicker than the plasterboard?

Roughcaster.

I would do just that but you can push the DPM back in rather than cut it.

Sponsored Links
HI THERE
I wouldn`t cut the membrane push it back into the gap slightly spray the gap with water using a plant sprayer then from the bottom up fill the gap with expanding foam slowly and be patient !!!!
it will expand up to 500% depending on brand
leave to cure for several hours then cut excess off using a hand saw and the wall as a guide.

If you find you need to add more foam spray with water between coats the foam uses the moisture in the air to cure and this will help it stick
then skim over the following day :LOL:

P.S. THIS IS VERY STICKY STUFF AVOID CONTACT AND COVER THE FLOOR SURROUNDING THE AREA AGAIN BE PATIENT WHEN CURED IT IS HARD TO THE TOUCH I TRY TO LEAVE THE STUFF OVER NIGHT WHEN EVER POSSIBLE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back