Sould I added the biggest hydronic plinth heatet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Second post - be gentle!
I am adding a hydronic plinth heater and my kitchen it is 27m3. The room has 3 external walls and hardly any insulation (very old farm house). Is there any harm in adding the smiths SS9 it is for 49m3. I was about to buy th SS7 which is 36m3 which looks like enough. Just wondering what the problems are of adding one that might be too big.
Also going to need 10mm to 15mm connections and really don't want to drain the whole system (as don't have access to the overflow tank without cutting a hole in the ceiling a a bedroom - long story) would this be possible? some pictures below, the plinth heater is going to replace the radiator.

Sponsored Links
The bigger one will be better as it can often run slower and so quieter.

In such a large kitchen it might not spread the heat very evenly.

It will ned to be fed from at least 15 mm pipes back to the distribution spine.

10mm will not pass enough heat unless possibly its a microbore but even then there may be problems.

Be aware you should be taking professional advice on the sizing. The makers suggestions are based on a well insulated property not a poorely insulated one.

Tony

Thanks Tony - My kitchen really isn't that big 12m2 just the Smiths website give room size in cubic meters.
I do have another radiator in the room but doesn't kick out a lot of heat (just looks nice!). It is micro bore so will I be able to get a 10mm to 15mm connector do you think? Think I will price up the SS9 one.
Thanks again.

Sorry, most of the time we see people talking about floor area and so I read it that way.

If the whole system is 10mm microbore you should get away with it also in 10 mm if there is a spare manifold outlet as long as its not too far.

It will work perfectly if you can take it back in 15 mm to before the manifold on the ( hopefully 22 mm ) feeds from the boiler.

Without knowing all the lengths involved its difficult to advise.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile - really appreciate your advice will have a look into my central heating setup. I think it is 10mm microbore everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back