Sound/acoustic insulation between floors in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any experience/information on good solutions on how to attempt to insulate noise from ground floor to first in new build(8 years old standard detached house).
I am ideally trying to minimise noise from living room which is directly below bedrooms. There seem to be some products out there (acoustic underlay etc) but would like to hear of solutions/experience of what is good/bad in this area.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi,

i would say that if possible, try to use celotex or kingspan. this will not only save you on your heating costs, but gives a good sound barrier.

(bit expensive though)

My BCO told me last week that current regs specify min 100mm glassfibre between joists to cut down on airborne sound. (There is also impact sound which travels through the joists).
However I used some Knauf Rocksilk in a stud wall recently which works really well.
This is much denser than normal glassfibre - if you read up about it, you'll find the denser the material the better.
I wouldn't use Celotex as I believe it has very poor sound absorbing qualities and it's too expensive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back