Acoustic insulation between ground and first floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for the best low-cost solution (if that's not a contradiction) to improve the acoustic insulation between the kitchen and our bedroom above. Any suggestions?
At the moment there is just 12.5mm plasterboard (taped and filled, not skimmed with plaster) the joists (175x75mm) and then 22mm t&g chipboard, plus underlay and carpet above. A particular problem is that the kitchen was dry-lined, so even relatively small noises like an appliance being plugged in or taps running sound quite loud in the bedroom above.
I am reasonably experienced DIY-er but would prefer if possible to avoid re-doing the ceiling as I would need to get in help to do that. As far as I can see the chipboard is screwed down, not sure if the t&g is glued but anyway I am happy to replace the floor with thicker chipboard if that's a good idea or just take it up to get insulation between the joists. The downlights are not acoustic variety so I am assuming I will replace those. What else should I do to minimise the noise going upwards?

Sponsored Links
Since your concern is noise going upwards, it is radiant noise and the cheap, simple solution is to stuff thr void between ceiling and floor with fibre-wool. Either the compressed stuff they sell as acoustic or simply compress it yourself: the latter is consideably cheaper.

You shouldn't cover the down-lights or they will overheat.

This will bring some modest improvement. As for the plug noises, can only suggest a slab of fibre around those too, if accessible and space.

Often the noise from plugs and switches and, banging about on the kitchen worktops, is travelling up the internal walls. Breeze blocks are particularly bad for this.

I'm not sure there is a realistic solution but ideally all items likely to generate noise should be isolated from the wall transmitting the noise using rubber mounts or similar.

Not very helpful I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back