Acoustic properties of plasterboard and Celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...I live in a flat and I am planning on replacing the carpets in hallway and living room with engineered wood flooring. The issue that I am facing is with what to install under the new flooring in order to comply with Part E. The existing subfloor consists of 3 layers of floating sheet materials (20mm plasterboard, 50mm Celotex and 18mm T&G chipboard flooring) sitting on 18mm plywood and timber joists. Below the plywood decking is 200mm insulation wool.

My questions are... what are the acoustic properties of the existing floor structure and what level of acoustic insulation do I need with the new flooring?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Remove the carpet, run up and down with boots on, and see if the neighbours can hear it.

I would expect a modern building to be designed so that the acoustics do not depend in the final floor covering.

Do you have any lease terms or similar about floor coverings?

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on the leasehold terms. Many years ago I rented a flat that had (cheap) laminate flooring and one day the building management sent a letter asking us to remove it as it was not allowed. (We forwarded it to the landlord who never did anything about it...)

I think it depends on the leasehold terms. Many years ago I rented a flat that had (cheap) laminate flooring and one day the building management sent a letter asking us to remove it as it was not allowed. (We forwarded it to the landlord who never did anything about it...)

The laminate or the letter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back