Can you Sound proofing ceiling using (thermal) Loft Mineral wool? or stick to acoustic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ground floor ceiling down. Need to Sound insulate from upstairs. I have in the past put resilient bars in with acoustic mineral wool and re-boarded and it has reduced noise transmission pretty well.

The Acoustic type seems to cost more than when i bought before. Would it be better to put 150mm of Acoustic insulation (3 layers of Earthwool Acoustic Roll 50mm 15.6m2) or l layer of Knauf 200mm Super Top Up Loft Roll Insulation - 5.61m2 ?

Room is between 5-5.5m2 the Loft roll is 1/3 cheaper

Sponsored Links
Acoustic roll is obviously best for sound insulation and you could in addition use 15mm Gyproc Soundbloc board and skim on the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Presumably you mean 5m square not square M?
Anything like radiators will end up as microphones to send the sound to the underfloor pipes.

Ideally two layers of different density rockwool (acoustic) and two layers of plasterboard, the PB stepped so that there are no coinciding seams will help

Ideally two layers of different density rockwool (acoustic) and two layers of plasterboard, the PB stepped so that there are no coinciding seams will help

Thanks - I was just reading about the acoustic boards, 12.5mm and 15mm. Will double up on the acoustic rockwool.

I think I'll go the route of doubling up on PB, costs are similar but the density seems higher with doubling up on regular plasterboard than the acoustic boards any of 2x9.5mm or 2x12.5mm or 9.5mm+12.5mm regular boards ? or is that a weird thing to do

I’m in the process of doing mine, 100mm rockwool slab, 2 layers of regular 12.5mm plasterboard. I’ve also done another ceiling with the same insulation but resilient bars and single layer of 12.5mm boards, and I’d say the result was pretty good/noticeable. I can’t be ar$ed with the bars this time tho. Unlike previous attempts using loft roll etc which did very little.

Doubling up on the acoustic rockwool ! What thickness are you putting in ? Presume Soundbloc boards have better acoustic properties than ordinary plasterboard as one layer of Soundboc ceiling could be used instead of one layer of 12.5mm plasterboard plus 100mm acoustic insulation between joists.
Any advance on 2 layers of 15mm Sounbloc ceiling ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back