Sound Board... and acoustic acrylic 'filler'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a roof and I want to add a bit of sound dampening by using a double layer of plasterboard. As I'm a skin flint, I will use one of sound bloc, and one of normal 12mm.

As far I understand when you put the sound boards up, you don't sit them 'tight' together, but leave a slight gap that you later on fill with the acrylic "acoustic" filler. Now, as far as I see things, this "acoustic" filler, essentially solves the problem of having slight 'air' gaps that you will normally get when putting up boards.

Does anyone have any idea if I can just use any old acrylic filler - as opposed to this "acoustic" stuff that's really expensive. My gut feeling is that anything will do, as it will resolve the problem of the air gaps between (and around) the boards.

I would appreciate either any direct use of the products of some common sense thoughts on the process.

I will, of course ensure the second layer of boards are position so the joins are offset.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I asked the question a couple of weeks ago as I'm doing similar on resilient bars, and was told you only use the mastic/sealant around the edges of the ceiling not in all the board joins. No idea if you can use any sealant but the acoustic stuff is cheap so I bought a couple of tubes.
When you say it's expensive I'm paying 3 quid a tube plus VAT so maybe shop around?

Yes, I think I need to shop around :)

I was considering resilient bars, but it's on a 38 deg ceiling and I really can't be bothered, if it was a normal flat ceiling I would have considered it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back