Sound insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for input from people who have experience of sound insulating rooms. I have built a garden room which is a 4x2 timber framed construction with a suspended floor of 7x2 joists sat on concrete piers.

The room is to be a music room for listening to music and playing music in. I play in band as a drummer and whilst I am not expecting to be able to play acoustic drums in there without being heard, I'd like to get it soundproof/insulated enough that I can have people over to jam with guitars etc. To be able to listen to music int he room at decent volume on good speakers would be fantastic.

My plan is to insulate the walls and ceiling (cold roof, 5x2 joists) with RW45 rockwool and board out with blue acoustic boards (double layer).

To keep costs down I am trying to use reclaimed materials as much as possible. I managed to get enough rockwool to do pretty much the whole room for 60 quid which was great. Its only 75mm thought so I am going to supplement it with some some cheap 25mm glass fibre.

The biggest cost is going to be the boards as unlike the standard boards which often pop up on FB marketplace in small quantities for cheap or even free, the blue boards seem quite scarce (unless bought new)....

So I was wondering, do the blue boards actually make a whole lot of difference, or would several layers of normal plasterboard, combined with meticulous sealing up with sound insulating mastic (which i'd do wither way) do as good of a job?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back