Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Currently I have carpet in the upstairs bedroom - I guess under that there is underlay, then the floor boards, then the void between floor boards and lath plaster (I think it's called) ceiling.

When someone is on the phone or playing music/watching tv - it can be heard fairly clearly in the room bellow!

All floor boards are coming up anyway. So im thinking of sound proofing - from what I read this is hard (costly) to do if you need to pass the sound proofing test for say HMO.

What simple things could (floor boards are coming up anyway, and ceiling are very old) be done?

Would just installing ROCKWOOL Sound Insulation Slabs and fireproof plaster board on the ceiling make much of a difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As an amateur, from my experience, yes those things would make a difference. What has also helped us is to fix the boards down really well, insulate the gaps between the boards with string and acoustic sealant, screw down a layer of ply, and then put acoustic underlay down.

...and it's worth thinking about any edges, gaps, holes - acoustic bypassing.

As an amateur, from my experience, yes those things would make a difference. What has also helped us is to fix the boards down really well, insulate the gaps between the boards with string and acoustic sealant, screw down a layer of ply, and then put acoustic underlay down.

...and it's worth thinking about any edges, gaps, holes - acoustic bypassing.

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

crumbs sounds like lots to lift up if something goes wrong under. as I'm trying to do my own plumbing I would like easy access to them.

I just measured the joists, they are about 20cm - I see they sell the acoustic insulation 10cm thick, would I just use 2 layers?

Sponsored Links
Anything you do needs to be on the floor or under the boards. Not on the ceiling or a new layer under the ceiling as that will reduce sound going up not coming down.

A better quality heavy under lay and carpet would be more beneficial than messing about with the floor.

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

I just measured the joists, they are about 20cm - I see they sell the acoustic insulation 10cm thick, would I just use 2 layers?

Yes, that's what I did, though it's best, I think, not to pack it in too tightly

Anything you do needs to be on the floor or under the boards. Not on the ceiling or a new layer under the ceiling as that will reduce sound going up not coming down.

A better quality heavy under lay and carpet would be more beneficial than messing about with the floor.

thanks for the reply woody.

I guess I need to reduce sound both ways though.

I saw this youtube video where they used a double layer of plaster board with an acoustic filler between the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back