Sound Proofing Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved into my new flat which is on the first floor of a house that consists of 2 floors, myself upstairs and neighbors downstairs.

I am currently carrying out some work on it and i looking to sand the original floorboards and use that as flooring.

I noticed that there is no insulation between me and them, just a plaster board ceiling..... i can hear when there kettle has boiled.

So i thought i should tackle the problem whilst im doing work on the place, i have pulled up the old floorboards and fitted 100mm thick sound proof Rockwool between all the joists.

After putting down the first layer of Rockwool i have noticed i could fit a second layer between the joists.

My question is....

Do you think that would be overkill or is one layer enough?

Im not looking for dead silence, but i defiantly dont want to be hearing their morning bathroom activities whilst im trying to enjoy my breakfast :).

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Im not looking to use carpet i would like to use the old floor boards.

Sponsored Links
yes, I know you would.

Hard floors, in flats, are a cause of much anger.

What does your lease say?

Like them or not, you may have to install carpet as part of your lease -or move

The more sound insulation you can fit will help.

I used to have a flat in a high quality 1994 purpose developed block. It was well insulated everywhere, but the previous occupant of my flat fitted wooden floors throughout. The neighbour below made it very clear on the first day that ever since that wood floor had been fitted, it had been nuisance.

So you have little chance in a conversion I feel....

Used this system in London conversion where there was no sound insulation.Worked very well.
floor_solution_4_diagram_1.gif

https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing/soundproofing-floors/sif1-joist-hanger-solution3.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back