Sound-proofing central heating boiler

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

Central heating boilers make some noise when active. The sound is of combustion. It is not very loud, possibly sopherific, but certainly easily audible if you are in the same room as the boiler.

I'd love to move my boiler into another better position, but, you would hear it when watching TV or listening to music.

Is it reasonably feasible to soundproof around the boiler, so it's noise is hardly noticeable? My boiler is a Vokera "Pinnacle 16". Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've never thought about it, but there is such a thing as a "boiler cupboard". I'd have wondered if it was legal. No problems it seems.

I think I could make myself a boiler cupboard. :c) Use soundproofing materials.

You've answered your own question. Consult your manual for all you need to know about clearances and other requirements.

I'm looking at my installation and service instructions.

It says: "A compartment used to enclose the appliance must be designed and constructed specifically for this purpose. An existing compartment /cupboard may be utilised provided that it is modified to suit.

Details of essential features of compartment / cupboard design, including airing cupboard installations, are given in BS 6798."

I do see under "Technical Data":

Clearances:-
Sides: 12mm
Top: 150mm or 25mm above flue elbow
Bottom: 150mm
Front: 600mm

That's quite a distance from the front, to the boiler cupboard.

Sponsored Links
you MUST ALWAYS abide to the manufacturers instructions, this is very important

Are the instructions saying that no object/wall/cupboard door, etc, should be nearer to the front than 600mm, or, that there needs to be 600mm for access?

It does seem a bit odd specifying 600mm unless it means you must have a space for access that is no smaller than 600mm. Of course, that is quite easily accomplished when there is a cupboard door in front of the boiler.

Edit: I'm right: Here is from another manual:

"The following clearances are recommended for installation purposes; 200mm above, 300mm below and 50mm at each side. 600mm is required at the front but this may be upon opening a cupboard door."

Some boilers are better than others for noise.
A kitchen type cupboard around the boiler will certainly help reduce the noise
of the existing boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back