Soundproof Coach House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently live in a coach house flat with an archway. As the archway is really narrow and the ceiling is low all sound bounces off and creates the same effect as say a Subway - the sound simply amplifies. It’s becoming intolerable. A ball sounds like a hammer, a motorbike makes the floor vibrate, a car stereo (base) sounds so loud and generally noise is just horrendous- it often sounds more quiet outside than it does in my flat. I’ve looked at soundproof windows (but they look very expensive). It affects my sleep and I’ve been suffering from migraines from disturbed sleep/thudding.

does anyone have any ideas that isn’t overly expensive please?

Any help appreciated :)

Attachments

• F2EE3F04-55DA-4FB5-9929-6795C20663D0.jpeg
    F2EE3F04-55DA-4FB5-9929-6795C20663D0.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 1757F0AF-0417-402F-BDE6-0D746480108F.jpeg
    1757F0AF-0417-402F-BDE6-0D746480108F.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
It's possible/probable the sound/vibration keeping you awake is coming through the building itself, therefore changing the windows won't do much to reduce this if anything.

There's a real art to soundproofing to get it 100% right tbh. Soundwaves are a bit like water, if they can find a way through they will. What's on the floor at present? Maybe acoustic/sound proof underlay would help?

Acoustic Underlay | Soundproofing Underlay | Acoustic Carpet Underlay | Insulation Superstore®

Sponsored Links
Thank you
I’m going to look at underlay. It’s simple things like the neighbours installed an electric garage door but somehow it creates vibrations and can make my ears pop … simple sounds are just horrendous…

As it’s the first floor I’m
Edging towards flooring

thank you
Cate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back