Soundproofing between maisonettes - sharing costs

You'll have to move then. It's the only realistic solution. I doubt they'd let you pull all their floorboards up to soundproof, and that's the only realistic solution, and even that is a compromise.

Joe, you are missing the point. Please re-read the thread.

Sponsored Links
If P"B" wants floor boards then taking them up and laying a sound mat over the joists is the only option, other than a false ceiling below, which maybe the easy option

It's not the 'only' option but it is the most sensible option.

That however is not the question.

The lease will be hard to enforce, and it will cost far more money in legal fees to do so, than the cost of paying the floorboards to be lifted and relayed over some acoustic matting.

And as the construction is existing, I can't see how it could be proven to be a nuisance legally.

But I don't think this is an argument that says the costs should not just be split 50/50, you both own the freehold to the *building* which the modifications will be made to.

You either make the modifications and go 50/50, or don't do them.

That's my completely ignorant legal opinion.

Morally and in regards to common sense, I would also say just go 50/50, the bottom floor may change hands, and the next people may not be so accommodating, may turn it into a noise war, also with freeholds there is the chance that something else may need to be done in future, and its best not to establish a practice of arguing over costs, anything to the building fabric or grounds should just be split 50/50 to avoid headaches.

The lease will be hard to enforce, and it will cost far more money in legal fees to do so, than the cost of paying the floorboards to be lifted and relayed over some acoustic matting.

And as the construction is existing, I can't see how it could be proven to be a nuisance legally.

But I don't think this is an argument that says the costs should not just be split 50/50, you both own the freehold to the *building* which the modifications will be made to.

You either make the modifications and go 50/50, or don't do them.

That's my completely ignorant legal opinion.

Morally and in regards to common sense, I would also say just go 50/50, the bottom floor may change hands, and the next people may not be so accommodating, may turn it into a noise war, also with freeholds there is the chance that something else may need to be done in future, and its best not to establish a practice of arguing over costs, anything to the building fabric or grounds should just be split 50/50 to avoid headaches.

Thanks Aron. You make several very good points.

Sponsored Links
It's all well and good saying that, but it doesn't actually NEED doing. The OP simply wants it doing. Probably half the population wouldn't even care if it were done on not. Just buy them some slippers.

Back