Maisonette Council Tax...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a query concerning my maisonette flat.

I was looking into my council tax, as I seem to be paying a huge amount.
When I visited the VOA website to check on the banding for the flat I noticed that the flat downstairs is a band higher ( Me being a band D & them being a band C)
I thought this strange as they actually have the bigger flat…
I phoned the VOC info line for my local area & the chap on the phone told me that our property is down as having the larger living area being listed as a maisonette.
Downstairs is listed as having a smaller living area & less rooms than it actually has…

What is confusing is that the downstairs flat also have a staircase that leads to the rear room on the 1st floor.
This room is at the rear of the house & separated by a dividing wall just in the entrance well of my flat…

I bought the property with my sister 3 years ago & all the paperwork says the flat is 1st & 2nd floor maisonette.
The property shares an entrance with the downstairs flat.
At the time of purchase we had a problem with the vendor needing to get a regularisation request confirmed for a wall in the property.
I queried this at the time and was just told by the estate agent it concerned the wall which divides the kitchen from the living room.
I now believe it would have concerned the wall that splits our 1st floor into two & gives the downstairs access to the 1st floor living area.

My Questions are:
Would I be able to find out what wall the Regularisation concerned?
If so Where do you find info for past building work to converstion flats?
If the first floor is shared, Is the property a maisonette flat?
If the ground floor flat has a staircase up to the first floor, is that a maisonette flat?
Would the floor plans be stored or logged any where in reference to my property, so I could see what is deemed as owning the 1st & 2nd floors?
Would there be any way of changing the information held by The Valuation Office Agency to correct the information they hold & lower my council tax?

Cheers

Joe Natcho..

Sponsored Links
I am confused by your term 'maisonette flat'

The difference between a flat and a maisonette, are a maisonette has its own entrance to the public highway/footpath.
A flat has a common entrance.
So I beleive you have a 2 storey flat.

Yes this is what I have been told before. But on the VOC website we are down as a maisonette.. But we do share an entrance and comunal hall with the ground floor flat...????

Its very odd...

Sponsored Links
I have applied for an appeal with VOA. It takes approxamatly 2 months to get raised, due to the back log....

Apparently my local council only give you 6 months to appeal after becoming the named owner...LAMBETH...

Any way ....The ball is now rolling...

you could try looking at your councils planning site, and look for the planning permission to put this wall in place, or the original build if it's new. you could then query it with them and that might speed up the VOA side of the council.

they need to inspect and re-evaluate you'll probably find you come back a band to C or B even if it's small enough.

Sponsored Links
Back