Soundproofing chalet windows ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a chalet, it is fairly small as I am a single person, it is more like a studio flat chalet. One wall faces on towards my neighbours garage, he has a very noisy garage door and every time he slams it shut each late morning I wake up in shock by the sudden noise. I work nights so am asleep during the day. I am not overly keen on ear plugs if I can help it as I still need to hear my alarm or phone. I have tried noisy fans but these are not loud enough to mask the sudden noise. I have fairly typical chalet style windows, 2 panes of actual real glass but they seem very thin. If I have my TV on and stand outside it is very easily heard, just slightly muffled. I am presuming this noise is escaping from the windows rather than the walls or roof, as the walls have insulation inside them and are much thicker than the window area.

It is not my neighbours fault for my odd sleep hours, so I thought I would just beef up my window area with something like perspex. I have approx 12mm of space between the window pane and the edge of the wood on the window frame, so I think well I can perhaps put another pane of glass or perspex here and keep it in place with turn button latches so I can remove it if needed in future. I am not overly bothered with the cosmetics as my net curtain hides the window anyway, if it was a house it might be different, but a chalet with other windows, nah I don't mind too much cosmetically for one side of it.

So, my current idea, as mentioned above, is to get 10mm perspex, clear, have it cut in to 4 pieces, 50cm x 44cm each piece, then place these loose in front of the 4 glass areas, use latches to keep the perspex in place. Or if not latches, then sound proof strips to cover any gaps. The side that faces my neighbour has 2 windows next to each other, both can open, each window is made up of 2 sections. So that is 4 sections of window, 2 actual windows that open.

Any advice ? Would this 10mm perspex over window reduce impact noise ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back