soundproofing crumbling laff and plaster party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help!!!! my house and the neighbours used to be one house but was made into two in the twenties. the party wall is basically a crumbling laff and plaster stud wall. several areas of which have holes. the worst of which is behind the fuse box I have remedially filled most of them but i cant get to those. The wall can also be pushed in in places and there is a lot of rubble at the bottom(within in the stud). the noise from the neighbours is like its in my house. What can I do (I have very little money to hire a builder).
thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are wanting to do DIY job on it and save on labour costs, the best effective method would be to pull down the lath and plaster wall, install soundproof insulation then plasterboard the wall using soundbloc, to be finished by plastering. You can use the standard multi plasterboad which is cheaper than soundbloc to save money.

thanks but is it safe and legal to pull down my side of a party wall?

You really need to do this with your neighbour. It sounds like the whole wall needs fixing. You could pull of the lath and plaster your side but there is a risk of damaging the decoration on his side if the wall is in very poor condition. A party wall agreement may be advisable.

Or you could built a new wall isolated from the party wall, but you will lose some space and make the original problem inaccessible.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
thanks .
I cant really afford to lose space, the hallway is very narrow. What is a 'party wall agreement?'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back