Soundproofing next door out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,my next door neighbours are a particular loud indian family and i would like to soundproof them out but never had to encounter this avenue before so does anyone know of effective solutions. We do not have connecting lofts as i saw stated somewhere else.

Im starting from scratch here so all helpfull suggestions welcome. I am hopefully going to soundproof the two work affected rooms. Front living room and main bedroom above.

Any experiences with certain products would help please and cost figures.

thankyou

Sponsored Links
12 BORE

insulated plasterboard fixed to the walls in question and skimmed.

There are dozens of similar threads on here all with different suggestions. There is no definitve method. Have a search/trawl through the building section.

Sponsored Links
There is a product called Phonewell that works well in my experience.It is 1200 by 800 and 15mm thick. It contains sand. Each piece weighs about 18kg as far as I remember, so it's reasonably easy to handle. In my experience, it's worth getting resilient bars fixed to party walls ; leave about a 50mm gap between the phonewell and the wall. You can find info on how to fix it by doing an internet search for phonewell.

You won't be able to stop all noise from next door whatever you do.
Wood transmits impact sound very well so banging and footsteps will be audible more or less whatever you do in my experience, but you can significantly cut down speech/shouting/music/tv noise.
I hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back