soundproofing stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a 1920's terraced house.

I'm slowly renovating the house. Upstairs the rooms are separated by stud partitions.

Having done 2 rooms, taking off the plaster / laths and 12.5mm plasterboard on top, thin coat of bonding and skimming I've sure the sound still travels more than it used too between these rooms, as the walls are less dense I guess.

Too late for those but the last room I wanted to try to add something to deaden the sound, if only a little. I've read about staggered stud partitions, that's not really an option (in my next house it could be!). I've also seen the resilient bars you can use for fixing plasterboard too, for sound proofing - again a bit difficult to do as I've changed all the doors / door frames for the 4inch ones.

I was thinking of adding slab insulation, is there any advantage of doing this? And if so, does it specifically have to be the acoustic type, or are they all really more or less the same.

The stud depth is approx 75mm, if there is any advantage of the insulation, should it be the 75mm type or would 50mm suffice?

Or am I missing something else which I've missed which could help

Sponsored Links
Actually thinking about the resilient bars, If I put them on, I could add an appropriate thickness timber around the door frame.. they are painted white so should be able to blend them in..

Still open to advise, and comments on the slab insulation, thanks!

Selco have the 50mm for £33 a roll... is putting 2 layers in a 75mm partition a no no?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back