Soundproofing substandard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a wall between my flat and flat upstairs soundproofed. They used acoustic wool and acoustic plasterboard. They were to build a frame but when the wall came down there was already one there, they did not need access to the adjoining flat which then did not get acoustic plasterboard. I was told no discount but they would do other bits and pieces.

The soundproofing made no difference and the finish was horrendous. The cupboard under the stairs where the wall was replaced was sound proofed with some thick plaster, crumbling at the end of the day, plasterboard broken and no frame.

Board above my front door like a 70's patch up job. Fit two front door bells and make good, a joke even a light fitting not attached to the ceiling. He wanted to repair my french door side window sills with pieces of cut out plastic as if I has wooden ones he said the windows would have to come out, rubbish.

Alarms bells if the visual stuff was so bad, no wonder the sound proofing was not fit for purpose. It feels as if I have been in an episode of Faulty Towers

Question I paid half up front 1494, I have held back the rest. They want to come back, fit a front door that was part of original specs and make good all the crap that was done. I don't want them back. I have said I am not paying the other 1494. To add sound board to improve the sound proofing is going to cost 2000 and I am waiting for a quote to make good all their bad work and fit the door. He has come back saying I need to pay materials and if I pay him the 500 he will walk away. I already paid for materials up front with my first payment.

I am not someone trying to get something for nothing do I take him to a small claims. Never mind me paying him I'll ask for a full refund.

Female on my own so feel vulnerable, what do I do any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_221905.jpg
    IMG_20210630_221905.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210630_222421.jpg
    IMG_20210630_222421.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
Stick to your guns.

Ensure you have plenty of evidence of the substandard work. Ideally I'd try and get a completely independent report written but I wouldn't know where to go for this.

It's a shame this has happened and you will be out at least £1500 plus however much to put right all the bodges.

Sponsored Links
Back