Soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I live in a terraced house, a year after i moved in a couple the same age moved in next door where are next door neighbours re-decorated their house.

We have experienced and currently experiencing problems with the next door neighbour regarding vocal noise and tv sound passing through your lounge and bedroom walls. Due to the cold winter last year and having the heating on full blast, some of the floorboards upstairs have begin to pop up. I have re-screwed some down in the one adjacent room in hope that this may stop the noise vibrating through but it has not made any difference.

On several occasions the neighbour has had friends over, laughing, shouting etc and has kept us up all night as we can hear this quite clearly thought the lounge and bedroom walls. Yet we can not hear the neighbour on the other side.

My wife is currently expecting our first child, and i am concerned as to the amount of noise that passes through the walls. i am thinking of putting floor insulation under the floorboards to see if this will make a difference, but is this the best solution?

Any information would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say that you will be wasting your money. The sound insulation needs to be in the room where the noise emanates to stop it entering the fabric of the building, Once it's in the structure you can't get it out.

if this is a stud wall which will sound hollow when you knock it.you could take the plasterboard off and put insulation beetween timbers.replace with 12.5 mm plasterboard or there is many new types i.e sound proof board.and re skim.if this is a solid wall it may only be a single brick perhaps.try screwing battens to the wall.and insulated back plasterboard and reskim the area.putting insulation between your floors will make no difference.apart from making your room a bit warmer,and the room below will not hear noises from your bedroom. from simon the builder

Sponsored Links
I knocked the adjacent walls in the lounge/bedroom and the walls are hollow.

Whats recommended when insulating party walls? I've read up on soundproofing expanding foam seems easily, but is it worth spending the money? and does it work?

how much sound can travel through a joist? Would this be the problem as I can now heard the neighbour on the other side?

I'm currently going through the process of adding some soundproofing to our ceilings, and some internal walls.

What i'm using are resilient bars and 15mm soundbloc plasterboard on the ceiling, and putting rockwool rw3 sound insulation in between the joists. This seems like the most cost effective method for me, and it should work just fine on walls as well. You might need to attach battens to the wall before you affix the resiliant bar.

Just to give you an idea of prices, i'm paying around £3 for each of the resilient bars (3m lengths) and around £10 for 15mm soundbloc plasterboard.

Yeh, what he said.

If you can completely remove the plasterboard from your side of the walls, then you can attach the resibar directly to the studwork, and then add the new plasterboard straight on. Completely fill the void with rockwool (also acts as a great firestop)

a couple of sheets of standard 12.5mm plasterboard would be cheaper than the soundblock and give an extra 10mm of mass. The resibar should be good upto 2 sheets, but you need to follow installation instructions to the letter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back