Soundshield plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents are having a studwall built in a flat they have bought for my sister and fellow students to live in. The arrangement they have is, they buy the supplies in and a general builder (who they have used before), well, builds. So, I have designed and specified the studwall for them. As it is going to be a bedroom wall, I thought that it could be a good idea to specify sound insulation so the girl in that room can study/sleep if people are making noise on the other side of it.

Has anyone got any experience of Knauf Soundshield plasterboard? Looking at the literature it appears to just be a thicker and more dense version of normal TE boards (15mm thick).

Bearing in mind that these are likely to be put up by one man on his own, I am loathe to specify these super-heavy boards if they don't offer any benefit, and would probably just go for 12.5mm with insulation slotted between the studs.

I realise there will be sound leakage via the doorway anyway, but thought that any reduction could be a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Stud wall should be at least 100mm to benefit (100mm x 50mm).Knauf Soundshield plasterboard sounds okay to me but you can go further by adding maybe two layer of this instead of rockwall insulation in between the platerboards. If you do a search here, someone has filled the internal wall with sand ! which will give you a solid soundproof.

Sound ingress will come not only through walls but also between floor/ceiling joist, so to attain full soundproofing is a nigh impossile task.
Benefits will be gained using soundblock which could be doubled skinned with staggered joints, sealed at floor level with accoustic sealent, and accoustic insulation in the stud void, do not expect miracles total soundproofing is ann expensive task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back