Stud Wall Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am converting a double garage in to a Lounge (habitable space) and a study (technically non habitable). The dividing stud wall is classed as an external wall and hence it's construction has been agreed with Building Control as:

12.5mm Plasterboard, 18mm OSB, 160mm cavity (with 200mm acoustic insulation), 18mm OSB & 12.5mm plasterboard. The 160mm cavity is actually two stud walls sharing top and bottom plates.

I have the wall constructed with the lounge side left to plasterboard. I'm using taper edge plasterboard which won' be plastered.

Can anyone advise whether it would be beneficial to plasterboard the lounge side with 12.5mm soundbloc board or will it not make too much difference?

Appreciate any comments,

Regards,

Peter

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise whether it would be beneficial to plasterboard the lounge side with 12.5mm soundbloc board or will it not make too much difference

Not trying to be funny, but yes it will be beneficial but no it won't make too much difference. I'd guess it would be very marginal when compared to 160 mm fibre-wool.

You're talking about the dividing wall as in the existing wall seperating the house from the garage, which is to be turned into a lounge and utility? If so, then you can upgrade the wall (garage side), which will add approx. 100mm to the existing wall to comply with current u-values.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys!

I have a double garage and the study is technically still a garage whilst the Lounge is in the converted side. The dividing wall between the Lounge (converted side) and the study (garage side) is therefore classed as the external wall. Building Control approved the construction to meet a u value of 0.28.

The original question was whether to bother with Soundbloc plasterboard on the Lounge side of the study wall given the fairly meaty construction of the stud wall. I wanted to make my study as sound proof as possible as the Lounge is for use by my kids and their friends.

If adding Soundbloc to what I've already done will give a tangible benefit then I will, else I'll use standard 12.5mm board.

Thanks,

Peter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back