Source for low grade bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of pieces of equipment that use what looks like an ordinary bolt as a shear pin to protect their mechanisms. Any suggestions for a source of some sort of commodity bolts that would be significantly softer and weaker than the standard 8.8 grade that is most readily available. On US forums I see they normally suggest "Grade 2", not sure what that equates to in the UK.

Low price would be good, as these are consumable items.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I also found this cross-reference. So Grade 2 is our 4.6, and US Grade 5 is our old friend 8.8.

Attachments

• Bolt Grades strengths.gif
    Bolt Grades strengths.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
cheap Chinese stainless bolts are often surprisingly soft and weak, and should not be used, for example, on brake or steering components, as it is deliberately made cheap and poor quality.

I happened to read in a recent metals report that 1kg of nickel per tonne doubles the strength of steel (IIRC), and that Chinese steel producers use less than half as much nickel as European producers.

(This was in a Mining sector forecast that demand for Nickel and some other alloying metals would increase as China, the biggest steel producer, moves up the quality/price curve)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back