Arctic Grade Cable with 230vac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Arctic Grade Cable
8844Arctic.gif

From Batt Cables web site. Available in Blue 0.75mm² to 4mm² and Yellow 1mm² to 4mm²
Arctic grade, low temperature cable
Conductors: Plain annealed flexible copper

Current Ratings 4F3A
Insulation: Arctic grade PVC (Polyvinyl chloride)

Core identification: 3 core: brown, blue & green/yellow
Sheath/Jacket: Arctic grade PVC (Polyvinyl chloride)
Colour: Blue or yellow

Voltage: 300/500V

Operating temperature: Maximum 60°C. Minimum bending -20°C
Standards: Generally to BS6500: Electric Cables. Flexible cords rated up to 300/500V, for use with appliances and equipment intended for domestic, office and similar environments
Applications: For use outdoors and where flexibility is required at sub zero temperatures. The cable remains flexible down to minus 20 degrees centigrade
But in Wiring Matters
"The use of "Arctic" cable
It is common to see blue sheathed flexible cables, sometimes referred to as arctic" cable used on temporary low-voltage installations. In addition to blue, this type of cable is available in many different colours, such as yellow and orange. Manufactured to BS 7919 (not harmonized), this type of cable was designed and is suitable for use on reduced low-voltage systems only, e.g. construction site installations, e.g. 110 V centre tapped transformers at 55 V - 0 - 55 V and often seen on temporary road works traffic lights. Table 7B from BS 7450 shown on the opposite page refers.
The cable can often be seen supplying caravans or used at live musical events, it can even be purchased from DIY shops in the form of a readymade extension reel with BS 1363 13 A accessories for use at 230 V 10. As can be seen from Table 7B of BS 7540, the cable was not designed for and is not suitable for these purposes.
Cable type:- Ordinary duty low temperature PVC sheathed cord circular
Standard reference:- BS 7919:2000 Table 44
Recommendations for use:- The cables are suitable for:
- use on ELV systems (110 V centre tapped) on building sites in the UK;
- use with temporary traffic light systems when ! suitably protected.
The cables are not suitable for:
- outdoor use at standard voltages
- in industrial* or agricultural buildings.
Comments
Usage on UK building sites, with ELV (110 V centre tapped) may include hand held tools.
*Admissible, however, in tailors' workshops and similar premises
Table 7B from BS 7540-3:2005- Cables conforming to BS 7919 - Guide to use."

There seems to be some conflict here between what the manufactures say and what Mark Coles says. Considering the previous version of Wiring Matters, and Mark’s paper in that edition. I wonder what the consensus of option is?
Can we use Artic cable for 230vac?

Sponsored Links
Yes, we can use it for 230v AC as it is rated for that.
I believe the issue is more to do with the environment for the intended use as well as voltage - it is not suitable for use at 230v in building sites but is suitable for use at 230v in offices or similar environments.
It can be used at 110v CTE in building sites.

Considering the previous version of Wiring Matters, and Mark’s paper in that edition. I wonder what the consensus of option is?
That he needs to lie down for a while in a darkened room.

50 years should do the trick.

Yes, we can use it for 230v AC as it is rated for that.
I believe the issue is more to do with the environment for the intended use as well as voltage - it is not suitable for use at 230v in building sites but is suitable for use at 230v in offices or similar environments.
It can be used at 110v CTE in building sites.
He uses as an example caravan sites but BS7671:2008 states on page 192:-

- a flexible cable type H07RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent, with a protective conductor and having the following characteristics:

As the cable to use. BAS I think has right answer!

Sponsored Links
The use of flexible extension leads doesn't come under BS7671.
(Unless you're talking about some of the special locations)

OK for those who don’t know H07RN-F means.

H = Cable conforming with harmonised standards
07 = 450/750V
R = Ordinary ethylene propylene rubber or equivalent synthetic elastomer for a continuous operating temperature of 60ºC
N = Polychloroprene (or equivalent material)
-F = Flexible conductor of a flexible cable or cord (flexibility according to Class 5 of HD 383)

V3 = PVC compound for cables installed at low temperature

So very little difference between the spec. Both OK for the voltage the only point are they OK for environment. BS 7919:2001 is it seems is for cables intended for industrial and similar environments. And BS 7909:2008 is for entertainment so although maybe the use of Blue Arctic cable at 230vac should not be used at live musical events I can’t see how this can be extended to supplying caravans. Unless of course those caravans are at live musical events.

I have got BS7671:2008 in HTML format and when something comes up I often enter a word to search for answers. However because it jumps to the word it is very easy to miss the fact I am in a special section.

So for example easy to quote:- 422.3.14 Flexible cables and flexible cords shall be of the following construction:
(i) Heavy duty type having a voltage rating of not less than 450/750 V, or
(ii) Suitably protected against mechanical damage.
Without realising this only refers to “Locations with risks of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials”.

I have made this type of mistake I will guess Mr Coles has done something similar. However one would expect mags like Wiring Matters to have the arterial proof read first?

Don't quote me on this, but I have been told that when cable is specified as "Generally to BS6500" or similar, is it usually because some cheap cable supplier buys a start or end of production run of a cable where that portion of the cable hasn't been certificated. The more expensive stuff will be tested and sold as conforming to the standard, but they can get away with selling the untested from the same batch as generally to whatever standard.

Not sure if it's relevant to your appliaction though.

OK for those who don’t know H07RN-F means.....

So very little difference between the spec. Both OK for the voltage the only point are they OK for environment. BS 7919:2001 is it seems is for cables intended for industrial and similar environments. And BS 7909:2008 is for entertainment so although maybe the use of Blue Arctic cable at 230vac should not be used at live musical events I can’t see how this can be extended to supplying caravans. Unless of course those caravans are at live musical events.
Old thread. However am I right in saying H07RN-F is the black rubber cable suitable for live music events?

Further more, I presume is 'arctic' (H07RN-V3?) cable is deemed suitable for caravans, that it is also suitable to use to feed narrowboats? On a temporary basis? When semi-permanently installed in a marina for a year?

I can see slightly more chance of pinching from unintentional movement of the boat against the bank/jetty but the risk is likely low, suitable RCD protection should be in place, and short of using SY cable which is not great outdoors (or full SWA, not great at flexing) I dont see many other options?

Daniel

I think one has to use some common sense. The problem only arises when something goes wrong. Until there is an accident no one really worries what cable is used. The caravan site rules say no more that 4 outlets on one post so it is unlikely the cables will be run over or subjected to harsh use. With boats then normally only one socket per post at 63 foot long (Think that's max for all UK locks on canal system so many boats at or near that length) and power normally fed to stern to keep to the recommended max length of 25 meters and not have cables crossing walk ways then not really much chance of damage. (Although same rules as caravan max of 4 sockets)

As to length of time this is also dependent on activity my son who lived on the narrow boat would leave the marina an a regular basis during the summer so only in the winter months was there any extended time between coiling up the cable and inspecting. So yes cable could be out for 3 months without inspection but not a year. With holiday boats yes could be longer but also less traffic. In real terms the maria owners would inspect the unoccupied boats on a regular basis mainly to ensure no power failure caused alarms to sound and disturb other people on the marina.

For a caravan BS7671 states the cable type and size but not for boats. I would think this will be found the the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) but no longer involved with narrow boats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back