Source for uninsulated crimps and a decent ratchet crimper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, as I actually want them for car wiring, but I'm wondering if any of you sparkys know a good (reasonably priced) brand of ratchet crimper, and a source of uninsulated high-quality crimp terminals that will fit roughly 4-6mm multistranded wire?

Uninsulated as I prefer to insulate it myself with heatshrink tubing.

Connection needs to be strong, look nice and vibration resistant.

Will this be something I can get at an electrical factor, or are the crimps you guys use a bit different?

Hope someone can help.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Some crimps are not worth bothering with, but basically they are the same. Yes E F or C F are the place to go.

Don't know what their uninsulated ones are like, but I recently bought some insulated ones from CSE and the quality seems very good. Not used any yet though.

But.....

Connection needs to look nice

Who admires car wiring?

If you want a neat appearance wouldn't the ones with integral adhesive heat-shrink tubing be best?

Sponsored Links
And just people who take pride in their work, like lining up the straight-head screws.

sorry for the late reply, meant to reply last week :oops:

check out RS for part number

488-1263 or for smaller wire sizes 488-1235 and crimper 531-093

I use these a lot and I think they give a very good connection and the crimperis excellent despite being non ratchet.

crimper 531-093

R531093-22.jpg

I use these a lot and I think they give a very good connection and the crimperis excellent despite being non ratchet.
Cigaro - please don't take his advice re the tool.

As BAS says, they are ok for cars,but not for higher voltages. You really do need ratchet crimpers.

crimper 531-093

R531093-22.jpg

Cigaro - please don't take his advice re the tool.

B-A-S

Why should Cigaro not take my advise re the crimpers, he doesnt want them for mains only for car wiring and if you look carefully at the crimping jaws you will see that they produce a folded over crimp not just a 'squash the cable flat' type of crimp

BAS, I already had a crimper like that and it was cack - didn't make a good connection at all, especially mechanically - perhaps I was doing it wrong but the wires would pull free with little effort.

I got a ratchet crimper and some uninsulated crimps from CEF, made a far nicer result :D

Even so, thanks sureitsoff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back