Crimping tools - alternative tools or methods for 6mm2 T&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I discovered my initial stab at extending the 32A 6mm2 cooker radial was not up to scratch (I'd used a 60A screw terminal JB, and hidden in the ceiling).

Knowing now it can't be screw terminals if it's inaccessible, out it comes and leg it to B&Q to buy their standard issue crimping tool (no decent ones in stock around here, figured if it gives up the ghost in 5 years I won't care that much, and *of course* it will work out of the box)

wrong

My word it made the dodgiest crimps I have ever seen. 6mm2 into yellow, 2.5mm2 in blue (or red), all of them pull straight off. I could get 6mm2 to crimp into yellow if I used the blue position on the crimp but didn't fancy the mess it would have made inside. Fiddled with the little adjuster on the side to no avail.

So the B&Q ones will be summarily returned tomorrow and we're cooking in the garden again.

Mainly this is just a warning to others and a place to moan if you've had a similar experience. Looks like this tool has several brands printed on the side (e.g. Silverline) so avoid anything that looks like it, (could be the crimps too of course, but something's very wrong)

Looking for recommendations on either:

a) decent tool & crimp brands/sources you've had success with, or
b) an alternative like Ideal Insure/Spliceline push-ins that work with 6mm2 (using those on 4mm2 and below everywhere else). That'd be nice!

I've had a browse here, but posting just in case ratcheting crimp technology has moved on in the last ten years...

Cheers

Al

Sponsored Links
These: https://uk.farnell.com/wago/221-612/terminal-closed-end-splice-10awg/dp/2856918
but note the part number is 221-612, and not the more commonly available 221-412 which is only suitable for 4mm² maximum.

Nice thanks

You should have bought a soldering iron and solder not a cheap crimp tool.

That would've been silly as I wanted to crimp them and already have about 5 soldering irons :) The tool is clearly not fit for purpose though so throwing it back at them is an opportunity to make the world a tiny bit better than it was when I bought the things...

Sponsored Links
I solder wherever possible and use crimps as a last resort.

Wouldn't fancy burying any junction to be fair but if needs must.

Bought the Wago's, thanks @flameport . Crimping a non-option given the price of decent tools, the (non)regularity I do this and the pretty good availability of alternatives. Would've given soldering more consideration but working in a relatively tight space and don't have the worry of making a well wetted out joint with the Wagos (and no dropping solder on my head from in the ceiling!)

Thanks for the pointers!

Cheap crimp tools, especially the pre-insulated ones, are often poo. Your screw terminal jb would be much better.

But yes, use wagos. Either the ones linked or the push fit ones. Everyone else does.

Daniel

The tool is clearly not fit for purpose though so throwing it back at them is an opportunity to make the world a tiny bit better than it was when I bought the things...
Doubt it. Unless it's clearly broken, then it'll either go straight back on the shelf or perhaps get a discount label stuck on itbefore going back on the shelf :rolleyes:

I have purchased B&Q crimps (not the tool).

You might as well use a kit-kat wrapper jammed inside a dolly peg to hold the wires together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back