Recommend a good quality ratchet crimping tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My beloved ratchet crimping tool gave up the ghost today after 18 years of use so I need to replace it.
Can anybody recommend a tool for insulated crimps (1.5, 2.5 and 6.0) around £40 / £50?

Sponsored Links
I've used many sets of cheap crimping tools and not found a good one yet.

Not sure of the make of my old pair but they cost around £40 some 18 years ago and have been excellent until today :(

I've got CK, seems good. Not too tricky to release either.

Sponsored Links
I have a set by Ampliversal for copper tube lugs and they are quite good got them for nowt of my previous employer.
I also have a set for insulated lugs bought from Screwfix when i started and they are utter sh1te.

Look for the ones that when they crimp, they leave a symbol.
They are for use , where crimps need to be done right,

As the symbol represents the person that crimped it.

Gary, I lost my good Klauke crimper (nicked or lost I don't know).

I bought a Draper Expert one for about £15 as a stop gap and to be honest, I'm quite impressed with it. The quality of crimp is very good, even on solid conductors. The action feels secure and solid but it takes a bit of a squeeze to release. I don't do a lot of insulated crimping so I'll probably make do with it for now. Maybe it won't last forever, but for now it's good.

Anyone used DAVICO crimpers?
Just bought some from TLC but haven't used em yet.
I'm after a good pair for crimping non-insulated copper lugs but haven't found a decent set yet.

TT

Look for the ones that when they crimp, they leave a symbol.
They are for use , where crimps need to be done right,

As the symbol represents the person that crimped it.

Don't think so (unless you are talking about serialised meter seal crimps)

Usually it's a number that indicates the die size used.

Don't think so

They are designed for hazourdous area working,they stamp a pattern on the lug.
When things go t**s up the crimp can be checked and the company can tell if it was there's.
Obviously if you brought them the crimps cannot be traced to you, as they are not registered or anything.

Hey TT, long time, no see

Hows it going?
COR still going strong? ;)

A quick revival of an older thread......
I managed to get a really good ratchet crimping tool. It's made by Facom and has stainless steel jaws, not cheap though at just under £50 but well worth it.
The test crimp you can see was then subjected to a tug of war between a colleague and myself. It did finally give up but it took a great deal of force, more than expected.

22082008384.jpg

22082008385.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back