Help with crimping

Hi John, It seems as though the thread has moved on a bit since i last posted, but have you found the comment i was referring to yet?

I had a look at the book the other day, but have again left it at the job, so its from memory again.

If you look at the section above the bit about 'appropriate compression tool', there is a note (note 2?) saying that crimps can be used on all cable types unless marked with a 'R' 'F' 'S' or 'sol'.

What process do you suppose the IET went through to arrive at that statement?

Sponsored Links
If you look at the section above the bit about 'appropriate compression tool', there is a note (note 2?) saying that crimps can be used on all cable types unless marked with a 'R' 'F' 'S' or 'sol'.
As you say, that's in 'the section above' (526.3) and when you are reunited with your BRB, you'll be able to see that it relates to "terminals", which (perhaps incorrectly) I had not taken to mean/include crimps. Do you?

Kind Regards, John.

I think its reasonable to say a crimp is a form of terminal.
I must say that I wouldn't personally have said so, but you may be right.

Mind you, if the IET believe (as that note seems to imply) that some 'terminals' (maybe crimps) are unsuitable for some types of conductor, then it surely is dangerous for them to say that any 'terminal' without such markings is suitable for any conductor, unless there is (which I doubt) some legal compulsion on manufacturers to put such markings on their products? I've never seen a crimp with any such markings - anyone?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I've just had a thought which might go some way to explaining some of the variation in reported experiences with crimping, and a potential reason for inconsistency in crimped joints.

I've just take a standard 'blue' crimp apart, and thereby reminded myself that they are, indeed, 'split' - but without any extenal indication (when insulation is present) of orientation.

The behviour of the crimping process, and hence possibly the quality of the crimped joint, is surely likely to be influenced by the orientation - particularly whether the split is at the 'top/bottom' or 'side' when one applies compression?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back